Butchertown, Emeryville CA
California-History

by

WorldWide Archive

Butchertown, Emeryville CA
View Larger
Butchertown, Emeryville CA
View looking north from Peabody's Lane. Note flock sheep in Bay Street (now Shellmound Street) and bay shoreline to the left. Golden Gate Hotel is center in the distance. View of Stockyards, Emeryville 1915 - Vernon J Sappers collection, Oakland Butchertown The legacy of Rancho San Antonio endured in “Butchertown”, an extensive enclave of stockyards and slaughterhouses that emerged in the 1870s north of the racetrack and Shell Mound Park, where cattle, pigs, and sheep were brought from the nearby farms.  Focused along the rail line and Dalton Avenue (whose name was later changed to 65th Street), the area featured waterfront piers, two residential hotels for the workers, and its own railroad station, aptly named “Stock Yards”.  In addition to meat packing plants for beef and pork, the area also had tanneries, wool pulling plants,  and a dairy.  Arguably Emeryville’s first heavy industrial area, albeit of a lingering rural character, Butchertown endured into the 20th century, when it was replaced by steel mills and factories.  The last meat packing company, Bayle Lacoste and Company located on Bay (now Shellmound) Street just west of the railroad, closed in 1989.
As Shown: $23.72
Size:
Paper: Enhanced Matte
Learn About Our Papers
or
Frame: Wide Square Black
Size: 22.4" x 18.5"
Paper: Enhanced Matte
As Shown Framed Price
$136.65
or
Bookmark and Share